Surah 90. Surah al Balad
Surah 90. Surah al Balad (The City)
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- No! I call to witness this City—
- And you are a free man of this City—
- And the father and what he fathered,
- Behold! We created humankind into struggle!
- Does he reckon that none has power over him?
- He says: Abundant wealth have I spent!
- Does he reckon that none sees him?
- Have We not given him a pair of eyes?
- And a tongue and pair of lips?
- And showed him the two highways (right and wrong)?
- But he has not embarked on the steep path.
- And what will explain to you what the steep path is?
- (It is) freeing the slave,
- Or feeding (the hungry) on a day of hunger,
- The orphan and the kin,
- Or the mendicant in the dust.
- Therefore, those who have certainty of faith,
And enjoin upon one another patience (and perseverance),
And enjoin upon one another compassion,
- Such are the people of the right hand.
- And those who reject Our Signs,
They are the people of the left hand—
- Upon them is the Fire closing in!