Surah 44. Surah al Dukhan
Surah 44. Surah al Dukhan (The Smoke)
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- Ha Meem
- By the Book, illuminated.
- We did indeed reveal it to you on a blessed night (Lailatul Qadr).
Indeed, We have been warning (about the Judgment Day)
- In it, every matter is sorted out with wisdom,
- As a command from Us.
Verily, We have been sending Messengers,
- As a Mercy from your Rabb.
Verily, He is the Hearer, the Knower,
- The Rabb of the heavens and the earth,
And what is between them,
If you would comprehend it with certainty.
- There is no God but He,
He gives life and (He) gives death,
Your Rabb and the Rabb of your earliest forefathers;
- But they occupy themselves with doubts.
- So, you wait for the Day,
When the heavens shall bring forth a visible smoke—
- It will envelope humankind–
That is the painful torment!
- (They will pray):
“O our Rabb! Lift from us the torment,
We do assuredly believe!”
- How else can they be warned,
When there did come to them a manifest Messenger,
- And they turned away from him?
And they said: “(He is) a mad man, coached!”
- Indeed, (when) We lift up some of the punishment,
Verily, you relapse (into wrong doing).
- The Day when We seize you with the awesome seizure,
Indeed, We shall be extracting retribution.
- And behold! We have tried before them the people of the Pharaoh,
When there came to them a Messenger, blessed,
- (Demanding) that (you) let go my (people who are) servants of Allah;
I am indeed a trusted Messenger for you;
- And that you do not defy Allah;
Indeed, I have come to you with a manifest authority.
- And indeed, I seek refuge with my Rabb, and your Rabb,
Lest you throw stones at me.
- And if you do not believe me,
Then, stay separated from me (spiritually and physically).
- Then, he prayed to His Rabb:
“Verily, these are a people, guilty (of oppression).”
- (Came the command from Allah)
“Take My servants by night—
And you will assuredly be pursued (by the Pharaoh)—
- And cross the sea that is (split and) stationary—
Of a certainty, they are an army destined to drown.”
- How many gardens and springs have they left behind,
- And fields and magnificent homes,
- And bounties they enjoyed therein!
- That is how it was,
And we made (other) people who came after them their inheritors.
- Then the heavens and the earth did not weep over them,
Neither did they receive any respite.
- And of a certainty, We delivered the children of Israel
From a humiliating ordeal,
- From the Pharaoh.
Indeed, he stood out among those who exceed the limits.
- And verily, We preferred them (the children of Israel) over all people
With (revealed) knowledge.
- And We gave them of Our Signs
In which there was a manifest trial.
- Verily, these are the people who do indeed say:
- “There is not but our first death,
And we will not be raised up again.”
- (And they say) “Then bring back our forefathers,
If you are truthful.”
- Are they better, or, the people of Tubba?
And those who (passed on) before them?
We obliterated them,
Indeed they were in the wrong.
- And We created not the heavens and the earth for amusement.
- We created them not except in Truth (justice),
But most of them do not comprehend.
- Indeed, on the Judgment Day,
The time for all of them will be fixed—
- The Day when a companion shall be of no benefit to his companion,
And they shall not be helped—
- Except one upon whom Allah has mercy.
Indeed, He is the Mighty, the Merciful.
- Indeed, the tree of Zaqqum,
- Shall be the food for the wrong doers—
- It will regurgitate in their stomachs like molten brass,
- Like boiling putrid fluid.
- (It will be said) “Seize him!
And drag him to the interior of the Fire!
- Then pour over his head,
From the torment of putrid fluid.
Indeed, you (fancied that you) are the mighty, the honorable.
- This is indeed what you used to doubt.”
- Indeed, those with certainty of faith
Shall be at the Station of Security,
- With gardens and fountains,
- Wearing fine silk and brocade,
Facing each other;
- That is how it is!
And We shall make for them companions pure,
With eyes (reflecting Grace).
- They will ask therein for fruit of every kind,
- No death shall they taste therein except the first death.
Lo! Allah has saved them from the punishment of Fire.
- The bounty of your Rabb—
That is what the greatest triumph is!
- Then, it is not
But that We made it (the Qur’an) easy for you in your tongue
So that they are reminded.
- So, you wait!
Verily, they too are waiting!