Surah 31. Surah Luqman
Surah 31. Surah Luqman
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- Alif Lam Meem
- These are Signs
From a Book full of wisdom,
- With guidance and mercy
For those who excel in beautiful deeds–
- Those who establish prayer,
And give charity,
And have faith in the hereafter.
- They are the ones, who follow the guidance from their Rabb,
And they are the ones who attain felicity.
- And among humankind (is one who)
Buys idle talk,
So that he may, with no knowledge, lead (people) astray from the path of Allah;
And make it a mockery—
Such are the ones for whom there is dishonorable punishment.
- And when Our Signs are recited to him,
He turns away in his haughtiness,
As if he had not heard them,
Indeed, as if there was (total) deafness in his ears.
In that case, convey to him the tidings
Of a painful punishment.
- Indeed, for those who have certainty of faith,
And engage in righteous deeds—
For them there are Gardens of bliss;
- (They will) dwell therein for ever—
The promise of Allah is true,
And He is the Mighty, the Wise.
- He has created the heavens without pillars that you can see,
And He has driven firmly the mountains into the earth,
So that it does not shake with you,
And has dispersed therein animals of every kind.
And We brought down rain from the heavens,
And from it have grown all the blessed set of crops.
- This is what Allah has created.
Then, show Me what has been created by others (besides Allah)—
Nay! The transgressors are in obvious error!
- And verily, We gave Luqman the wisdom:
“Be thankful to Allah!
And one who is thankful
Is thankful indeed for his own soul;
And one who denies it,
Then, (know that) Allah is indeed self sufficient,
Receiver of all praise.”
- And when Luqman said to his son,
While he was advising him:
“O my son! Associate none with Allah—
Indeed, associating partners with Allah is the greatest transgression.”
- And We have enjoined upon the human about his parents—
His mother carried him in weakness upon weakness,
And weaned him in two years—
So be thankful to Me and to your parents,
To Me is your return.
- And if they try to make you associate partners with Me,
About whom you have no knowledge,
Then do not obey them,
But stay with them in this world on the most excellent terms,
And follow the path of one who turns to Me;
For it is to Me that you shall return,
Then, shall I show you what you were doing.
- “O my son! Indeed, if there is (provision)
Like the weight of a mustard seed (lodged) in a hard stone,
Or in the heavens or the earth,
Allah will bring it forth.
Indeed, Allah is the Subtle, the Knower.”
- “O my son! Establish prayer,
And command what is noble,
And forbid what is evil,
And be patient with whatever befalls you.
Indeed, these are matters that require great determination.
- And do not turn your cheek away from people (in conceit),
And do not walk on earth haughty—
Verily, Allah does not like anyone proud and boastful!
- So, be modest in your walk,
And lower your voice—
Indeed, the most unpleasant of sounds
Is the braying of the donkey.”
- Have you not seen that
Allah has made compliant to you (under your spiritual power)
What is in the heavens and what is on earth,
And has completed His favors upon you, manifest as well as hidden?
Yet, among humankind are those
Who argue about Allah without knowledge,
And without an illuminated Book.
- And when it is said to them:
“Follow what Allah has revealed”,
They say: “No! We follow what we found
With our forefathers”.
What! Even if Satan invites them to the punishment of hell?
- Lo! One who surrenders his existence to Allah,
And is excellent (in his closeness to Allah),
Then verily, such a one has grasped on to a firm support,
And to Allah is the final disposition of all affairs.
- As for one who rejects the Truth—
Let not his rejection dismay you.
To Us is their return,
Then shall We let them see what they used to do.
Indeed, Allah knows the very essence of hearts!
- We will give them some latitude,
Then, We shall pull them in towards a severe punishment.
- And if you ask them:
“Who created the heavens and the earth?”
Assuredly, they will say: “Allah!”
Say: “Praise be to Allah!”
But most of them are without understanding.
- To Allah belongs what is in the heavens and the earth.
Verily, Allah is He who is self sufficient,
The One to Whom is due all praise.
- And if (all) the trees that are on earth become pens,
And the ocean (were to become ink),
And then seven more oceans were added to it,
Even then the Words of Allah would not be exhausted.
Indeed, Allah is the Mighty, the Wise.
- Your creation, and your resurrection,
Are not but (the creation and resurrection) of a single soul.
Indeed, Allah is the Hearer, the Seer.
- Have you not seen that Allah brings forth the night from the day,
And brings forth the day from the night,
And has subjected the sun and the moon (to His laws),
Each one moves in its orbit until a period fixed,
And that Allah witnesses what you do?
- That is so because Allah is He who is the Truth,
And because what you call on besides Him is false,
And because Allah is He Who is the Most High, the Exalted.
- Have you not seen that the ships move on the ocean
With the bounties of Allah,
So that they may show you (some) of His Signs.
Indeed, in that are Signs for those
Who are patient and are thankful.
- And when the waves cover them up
Like the dark clouds,
They call on Allah
With sincerity in accordance with their faith,
Then, when We deliver them on land,
Some of them vacillate but do not reject our Signs,
Except those who break their covenants and are ungrateful.
- O humankind! Be conscious of your Rabb,
And fear the Day
When no father will help his child,
And no child will be of the least help to his parent;
Indeed, the promise of Allah is true!
Therefore, let not the life of this world deceive you,
And let not the deceiver deceive you about Allah.
- Indeed, Allah is He with Whom is the knowledge of the Moment;
And He sends down that which quenches your thirst (rain);
And He knows what is in the wombs;
And no soul knows what it will reap tomorrow;
And no soul knows in which (part of the) earth it will die.
Lo! Allah is the Knower, the Aware!